How often do you get to turn 21 years old on the day of a historic Presidential Election, which happens to be the first time you can vote for President? Once in a lifetime, so I decided to make the best of it. And I had a seriously epic November 4.
The day started out pretty calm. I wore a new sweater, skirt, and tights to school where I gave a presentation in my literature class. Then I went out to lunch with this girl from the program that I am getting to know. We went to a café connected to this gourmet chocolate shop, so we got chocolate desserts of course. And then I bought myself a box of chocolates filled with liquors as a personal birthday present.
I had invited a group of my European friends over for dinner, so on the way home I stopped and bought soda and Mahou Cinco Estrellas, which is the favorite beer of Svante, our Swedish friend. There was an obligatory meeting that I thought was at 6 but then at 5:30 we checked on Jane’s email and it said the meeting was at 5. So, having accidentally missed the mid-semester meeting I didn’t really want to go to anyway, I went instead to a wine shop and bought four bottles of pretty good wine. Mostly I asked the lady behind the counter of recommendations and she helped me pick out one white, one red, and two bubbly. The Spanish equivalent to
Svante was the first friend to arrive. He cooked a pasta sauce loaded with cream, Justine (my French flatmate and friend) cooked Spanish tortilla, and I made a salad with vinaigrette. We sat down to eat at about 9:30, with some of the people from my apartment and Vincienzo, the Italian guy. They decided to sing “Happy Birthday” to me, starting in Spanish and then each person sang in their native language, so I ended up getting sung “Happy Birthday” in eight different languages: Spanish, English, Chinese, German, Greek, French, Swedish, Italian, and Ana tried to sing to me in Catalan, but forgot half the words.
Shortly afterward three of the other guys showed up, turned out the lights, and brought in a birthday cake in from the kitchen with lit candles. The cake was pretty odd, one layer with a concave surface and a hard, kind of transparent icing, but they had made it themselves. They had tried to write “Feliz Cumplianos Miriam” in the middle, although the icing ran and pretty much all that was readable was “Feliz.” It was probably the cutest birthday present I had ever received. They sang “Happy Birthday” to me in Spanish, again. To my complete surprise I also got other birthday presents: dessert wine, a bottle of sidra, candles, birthday cards, and a large box of chocolates. Between the wine I had bought, the sidra we opened, and then the shot of rice liquor that
People trickled out and at about 1 AM, Jane and I left for the Democrats Abroad Party in the Circulo de Bellas Artes, a prestigious building in central
Finally, at about 5 or 5:30 in the morning, we counted down to the closing of the West Coast polls (represent
At 6:30 in the morning I walked home along the streets of
So yes, my birthday was freaking epic.
.bmp)
No comments:
Post a Comment